Sunday, September 16, 2007

Soccer Tournament close to Osaka

When its not your day, its just not your day.

Have you ever noticed that in life, it always seems to be that the more excited we get for something to happen, the more disappointed we are when it turns out wrong?

Two weeks of looking for football boots that would fit- A UK10 (Japanese 28.5). 12 hours on a ferry going from Kyushu through Shikoku and onto Honshu, sleeping through snoring that could have woken up the dead, transfering five times in order to catch the right trains and then a long one hour bus ride to the island where we caught another small shuttle to where we were playing the tournament. The plus side of the ferry was that it was cheap (7000 Yen) and it had the most adorable cabins with their own TV's.

Now during this whole time, the excitement of getting onto the field again hit me just as it hit me when i was younger. Stepping out onto the field, surrounded by your team mates, ready to go to war. I was exhilirated.

My exhiliration lasted 40 minutes. A damaged ligament to the right foot is what the Japanese doctor was trying to tell me in his broken Engrish. My tournament was over. Before i knew it, i was in a bandaged splint and heading back to the grounds where i was to sit next to the field and support my teammates. I thought to myself- Typical!

Well apart from my pathetic injury, the great FGU (Fukuoka Gaikoku-jin United) ended up placing second. A good result seen as though we only had 9 players and three of us were injured on the second day. Thanks to some good recruiting on the second day we managed to pull a full side together. I think it was partly a result of my screaming from the side lines.

All in all it was an good weekend. We got to stay in the same hotel that the England soccer worldcup team stayed in during their preparations for World cup 2002, i found out that im not invincible and we got to ride on a bullet train going at 300km/h back to Fukuoka from Osaka. Plus, some great friendships were made along the way, which is always a good thing when you're living on another planet.

46 days



Cabin on the ferry with its own little TV.



Guinness in Japanese


Hot Menu- Casual Frozen Foods